Thursday, January 22, 2015

#32: Dog Park

Oliver
As I mentioned previouslyI’m a dog person. Yet while I’ve always been intrigued by dog parks depicted on movies or TV, I had never actually been to one. Inspired by the 40x40 project, my kids and I recently took our 4-year old Jack Chi, Oliver, to a local dog park. Although it was minutes from our house, we didn’t even know existed until we started looking for a park to visit. Such a great surprise!

Being a first timer, I was a little nervous about the experience, so I Googled dog park etiquette before we left and learned a few basic rules:
  • Clean up after your dog
  • Dogs under 4 months should not be at the dog park
  • Remove your dog immediately if they display any aggressive behavior
  • Don’t bring or use treats or toys when other dogs are nearby
My favorite rule came from PETA’s dog park website:
We reserve the right to choke, pinch or shock any visitors who put choke, pinch or shock collars on their dogs. Buy a harness!


We visited the Villages of Bear Creek Dog Park. Like most parks I researched, they have large and small dog areas. Oliver weighs about 20 lbs., so we immediately headed for the small dog section. Both areas are double gated - something my research also told me is a MUST for a good dog park. I quickly understood why when we entered and half the dogs ran over to greet the new visitor. My favorite part of the experience was how excited the dogs were when a new friend entered, but it was difficult to prevent a dog escaping in the process, so the double gate kept everyone safe.

Oliver chasing Olive
There was a rack for leashes by the entrance so once Oliver seemed comfortable (he’s very friendly, so that didn’t take long), we removed his leash and let him run freely to explore. He was so excited about the new adventure that his tail wagged the entire time. He first sniffed around exploring the surroundings then quickly made friends with several dogs, including a six-month old dachshund named Olive. He ran freely though the park, but I noticed he would periodically look around for the kids and me. I’m not sure if he was making sure we were safe or checking to be sure we hadn’t left him, but his concern was adorable regardless.

We only stayed about 30 minutes, and Oliver was completely exhausted from the adventure. He fell asleep in the car on the short drive home with a smile on his face.


Experience #32 was fun and long overdue. I have no doubt we will become regular visitors at The Villages of Bear Creek. Just one piece of advice for anyone enjoying the dog park experience…watch where you step. I learned that one the hard way.


No comments:

Post a Comment