Friday, January 30, 2015

#33: Embrace Color

If you know me, try this little experiment...close your eyes and picture the last time we saw each other. Was I wearing a black? Odds are that I was. For most of my life I've steered clear of color.  In fact, the clothes in my closet are sorted by color, which is easy to do since 90% of my wardrobe is in the black/grey family. It's not that I'm gothic or anything. Quite the opposite actually. I've just always liked the classic, simple look (and slimming effects) of dark solids. A few years ago my husband suggested we paint our kitchen red and I was completely appalled. I hadn't thought about moving beyond neutral tones and wondered how that would affect our resale value? But somehow he talked me into it and I’ve been grateful ever since.

So, I used the 40x40 project as an excuse to escape my comfort zone and add a little color to other parts of my life, including redecorating our master bedroom with bold colors that I've grown to love, adding lots of bright, colorful (though still solid) pieces to my wardrobe and even adding new color to our walls in a recent remodel.  

Small steps but I'm breaking out of my comfort zone and liking it. Having this goal as part of the 40x40 project influenced me to take some new risks in embracing color – I even had my nails painted dark purple one day. Crazy, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment