Saturday, November 29, 2014

#28: Carve the Thanksgiving Turkey

This may not seem like a big deal to some, but since I’m only at 27 experiences with just over 80 days to go, I will pretty much take anything I can get.  And carving the Thanksgiving turkey is an honor, right? Growing up, that job typically went to my dad.  When my husband and I host Thanksgiving at our house, the task of carving the turkey belongs to him.  I had begun to wonder if there was something magical about carving a turkey that only a man could do.  This year, both my dad and husband had icky colds so there was no way we were letting them handle the bird. My nephews were out fishing and my brother-in-law was exhausted, so I thought it was my time to step up. 

It was a completely new experience for me as it was also my first time to use an electric knife.  My mom seemed a little nervous about me attempting both things, but I handled them with ease! It turns out that carving a turkey is a lot like cutting the meat off of a rotisserie chicken.  There was really nothing special or magical about it, but the carved turkey eventually joined the Thanksgiving buffet of ham, dressing, green beans, macaroni and cheese and cranberry sauces (including my contribution of Rachel Ray’s cranberry lime relish).

Our family joined in a circle holding hands, but before the prayer my dad asked if anyone wanted to share what they’re thankful for. Of course we all expressed our gratitude for the food, our faith and family. Although unspoken, I know we also shared the sentiment, this year especially, that we’re thankful to simply be together in good health. It’s been a tough year as my sister dealt with a serious ovarian cancer scare and my mom continued to deal with Parkinson’s disease, but God has helped us through.

Carving the turkey was a fun new experience for me, but Thanksgiving is clearly not about the feast. It’s about spending precious time with those we love…and treasuring every moment.

Experience #28 is complete…12 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment