Monday, December 29, 2014

#31: Laser Tag

I previously shared that I detest weapons, so this 40x40 experience was really a leap for me. While water guns and violent video games are banned in our home, I admit I have taken my kids to laser tag several times. However, I’ve always waited outside the door working on my laptop or phone while they played.

I decided today would be different. In fact, it was my idea to go to Main Event for laser tag and my kids, their friends and my husband were eager to go along.   

Once we arrived, we had about 20 minutes before our game started.  This gave my husband and I enough time to enjoy a drink at the bar while the kids played in the arcade.  We then joined the line with 27 strangers and moved into a dark room lit by only the glow of the laser tag vests.  Following a brief instructional and safety video we suited up and were assigned to the blue team.

The two teams were ushered into the arena through separate doors.  As we walked in, I wasn’t sure what to expect. The arena was massive.  It consisted of two levels filled with a variety of glowing arches, pillars and walkways. The only way I could see our opponents at first was by the yellow on their vests.  Now, according to my husband, it was time for combat.

Okay. It just took a lot for me to type the word “combat.” I can’t think of it like that. It was just a game. A game in which I took out as many yellow players as I possibly could. In fact, I tagged them 52 times – meaning my laser tagged the sensor on their front, back or shoulders.  They did the same to me 94 times. OUCH! I’m a little competitive, so I hate to admit that. But, it was my first time and I did place #7 out of 17 on my team. And our team dominated with a final score of over 28K to the yellow team’s 18K. Not too bad, right?

Experience #31 was surprisingly fun. I’ll go back again and have some secret strategies I’ll try next time based on my initial encounter. Yellow team beware!

No comments:

Post a Comment