Saturday, October 11, 2014

#20: Volunteer with a Dog Rescue Group

Anyone who knows me well knows I adore dogs. In fact, I would say my life has been significantly impacted by the presence of a few special canines and their unconditional love, sloppy kisses and unwavering loyalty. Cinnamon, Luke, Abbey and Oliver are the four dogs that have blessed my life so far – each with their own, quirky charm.  I love those animals.

And since I made a commitment to give back as part of my 40x40 project, volunteering with a rescue dog program was a no brainer. I’d love to become a regular shelter volunteer, but I simply don’t have the time at this point in my life. However, when my daughter, Maya (also a dog lover) and I had a free afternoon recently, I logged into Voly and found an opportunity to volunteer at a pet adoption fair for Texas Little Cuties, a nonprofit organization specializing in saving dogs and cats scheduled to be euthanized because shelters lack room and funding.

We signed up for a three-hour shift and enjoyed every minute! We walked dogs, filled water dishes and greeted prospective families. We also had the chance to get to know some incredibly special people who run the organization. I was reminded how much I love spending time with other “dog people.” We may have had nothing else in common but we instantly connected thru our love for animals.

Maya and Marty
Maya even made a special friend, a three-year-old, 6 lb. Chihuahua named Marty (she was found in a Wal-Mart parking lot). Maya really wanted to bring Marty home, and I was so tempted to agree to adopt her. I have a hard time being logical in situations like this – especially since I was just as enchanted by Marty as Maya. But two dogs really is all our busy family can handle, and I have no doubt Marty will find the perfect home soon. In the meantime, she’s lucky to have the team at Texas Little Cuties.

Luke, Abbey and Oliver were rescue dogs, so I’m especially grateful for organizations like this who focus on saving animals that might otherwise be discarded. Although we only volunteered for a few hours this time, Maya and I felt good about offering our afternoon and energy to make a small difference. We look forward to future opportunities to help this great organization. And we’ll be saying a special prayer for Marty and her future family.

Experience #20 was rewarding in many ways. Only 20 more to go. Half way there!


No comments:

Post a Comment