Sunday, February 1, 2015

#34: Reading Glasses

This post may be more appropriately titled ‘Facing the truth’ or ‘Admitting I’m old.’ For 39 years I had perfect vision, and then all of a sudden I found myself squinting and struggling to read ordinary text on my computer screen. I tried to ignore it for a while and then one day while shopping at Anthropologie I tried on a pair of reading glasses simply because I thought they were cute, but I was amazed how all of a sudden things looked clear to me again. It was an eye-opening experience. Literally.

I purchased a couple pairs of inexpensive reading glasses but didn’t love the way they fit or looked so I decided to break down and see an eye doctor. After all, if I was going to wear glasses I wanted to be sure I actually needed them and had the right ones.

It was only the third time in my entire life I’ve had an eye exam. The first time I was in elementary school when my sister was struggling to read in class so my mom took us both. The second was about 10 years ago when my PCP said it would be a good idea to have an eye exam, and since insurance covered it, I agreed. That time the doctor actually seemed a little annoyed that I was wasting his time with my perfect vision, so I hadn’t bothered to return.

This time was different. The doctor nodded when she asked my age saying, “Yep, this is when it typically happens…” After a full eye exam she wrote me a prescription less powerful than the +1.00 lenses I had been using. It turns out my vision, though noticeably different to me, is not too terrible yet.

Not wanting to drop $500 on frames at the optometrist for such a mild prescription, I opted to try Warby Parker, an online, socially conscious eyewear company that donates a pair of glasses to someone in need for every pair purchased. The process was super convenient. You can view their frames online and then select up to five to try on free at home. It’s a great concept – they send frames with clear lenses, so I was able to wear them at my computer, walking around, etc. Rather than feeling pressured to choose at a storefront, I was able to test several frames to see how they fit and stayed on. I also took some selfies to help decide which ones looked best on me. Once I selected a style, I took a picture of my prescription, uploaded it on their site and got a great pair of anti-reflective, anti-scratch glasses for $95. It was actually a fun experience and I like my new glasses.

Experience #34 makes me feel old, but at least I can read clearly again and I guess it’s all part of facing my middle-aged reality...only six experiences to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment