Friday, February 6, 2015

#35: First Monday Trade Days

I’ve always heard about the flea market-style shopping mecca that is First Monday Trade Days in Canton, Texas. I decided a little late that it would make a great 40x40 experience. With only one cold, winter date available before my February 20th deadline, my awesome sister, Lori, a Canton veteran agreed to face potential rain and frigid temperatures to join me. I have to give her extra kudos for driving 3.5 hours each way from Houston while I was surprised to learn it was just over an hour east of Dallas for me.

Display at Paul Michael
She was a great tour guide, walking me thru the miles of vendors and helping me know when to buy vs. look for better deals. I must admit I was pleasantly surprised by the overall Canton experience. I had a junky garage sale-style flea market in my mind vs. the upscale craft show-like experience it actually was. That was probably because Lori knew the areas to hit and the ones to avoid. We spent the first few hours walking thru Canton’s Arbors, which included everything from upscale furniture costing thousands of dollars (I fell in love with a copper-topped dining table for $4K) to t-shirts and jewelry. 

Matching Shoes
Surprising to anyone who knows our vastly different styles, Lori and I actually bought matching flip-flop style wedge shoes. I also bought a fun dress that was completely not my typical style, a few gifts for my kids and what I considered a signature “Canton piece”. As part of my 40x40, I hoped to leave with a special item that reflected my personality while also representing the crafty, artistic side of First Monday Trade Days. (Unfortunately the copper-top table was not in the budget for that.)

I found that perfect combination at T&T Ironworks where I was drawn to a fun metal sign reading “Grateful”. That definitely describes my overall perspective on life and it seemed perfect to represent this 40x40 adventure. I look forward to hanging it on our breakfast room wall as a reminder to my family each day of our many blessings as we say Grace.

Exploring Canton was a fun adventure. I experienced something out of my ordinary and purchased some really cool stuff, but the best part was spending a day with my sister. While I would love to see her more, distance and the business of life tend to get in the way. I appreciate her willingness to set aside other priorities and join me. Again, I am grateful.



No comments:

Post a Comment