Wednesday, October 22, 2014

#21: Salt Therapy


I admit I’ve been feeling a little stressed by the 40x40 project. I made a commitment to have 40 new experiences in the year before my 40th birthday. Forty things in 12 months…should be easy, right? Well, eight months into it and I’m not even half way there, so I feel a little pressure. I only point that out since I’m fairly certain without that pressure I would not have tried salt therapy. But, I needed some new experiences to help catch up and stumbled upon a Groupon for the Salt Cave in Southlake. 

According to their website, salt therapy can help you feel better faster when dealing with common ailments such as Cold and Flu, Asthma, Bronchitis, Cystic Fibrosis, Sinus Infection, Sinusitis, Rhinitis, Hay Fever, Emphysema, Dermatitis, Eczema, Acne, ADHD, and much more.

Luckily, I have none of these conditions. Although I was suffering from some mild allergies, so I figured it couldn’t hurt to give it a try. I signed up for a 45-minute session in their Relax Cave. It’s basically a dimly lit room with eight large, comfy chaise lounges and purifying Himalayan Rock Salt circulating in the air.

The staff was wonderful. Before my session they gave me a full tour of the facility. They have a very cool kids cave, a small yoga studio and a private salt bed. They reinforced the significant benefits of salt therapy for people suffering from respiratory and skin issues.

As I entered the Relax Cave, I was given a glass of wine, a warm neck wrap and a lavender eye pillow. It was a very tranquil environment, and the 45 minutes went by quickly, the humming of the salt machine acting as a timer. Surprisingly, I really couldn’t feel or smell the salt, but I trusted it was there.  
After the session, I noticed no real difference in my breathing or skin, though they say it takes multiple times before people truly see results and honestly I’m not the ideal candidate for the therapy. I did, however, enjoy the 45 minutes of sitting still and relaxing, something I rarely have an opportunity to do.
So, I’d say experience #21 was interesting and enjoyable. While the relaxation cave is probably not something I would do again, I plan to try the yoga someday and I can see how the overall Salt Cave experience could have great benefits for certain people.
19 Experiences to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment