Saturday, August 9, 2014

#13: Horse-drawn Wagon Ride thru Stanley Park

Last week I had the privilege of attending a conference in Vancouver, BC, Canada that focused on collaboration and partnership in healthcare safety, quality and experience. It was a great event hosted by a respected organization in patient and family centered care. In addition to representing my organization and the patient experience movement, I had the opportunity to participate in many fabulous sessions and learn from organizations that are including and embracing the voices of patients and families in the evolution of healthcare.

To be honest, that has little to do with this blog post or experience #11, but it sets the stage for why I was in Canada and gives me a chance to promote the amazing work I am fortunate to be involved in.

A bonus for the trip - I had an open afternoon/evening to explore Vancouver and I was excited to do so with a newfound friend/colleague, Martha. She and I walked from the conference hotel, past a fleet of yachts and breathtaking scenery to the beautiful Stanley Park, a 1,001- acre public park that borders downtown Vancouver and is almost entirely surrounded by waters of the Pacific Ocean.


We missed the last boat tour of the afternoon so instead opted for a horse-drawn wagon tour through the park, a much slower-paced but enjoyable option. Two rookie horses (it was their first week on the tour circuit) pulled our wagon of 18 tourists and one guide up and down the roads of Stanley Park. That’s still incomprehensible to me… two average sized horses pulled EIGHTEEN PEOPLE in a wagon up and down hills. I admit, I felt guilty for allowing them to do this, but we were assured they were well cared for and they appeared to actually enjoy the adventure. 

We stopped to walk thru the famous Totem Poles, rode pass the Girl in a Wet Suit Statue, saw the S.S. Empress of Japan Figurehead and ended near the Rose Garden. There Martha and I opted to pop into Stanley’s at the pavilion for wine and a chance to enjoy the beautiful weather and surroundings. It was a great afternoon.

After the walk back to the hotel, we met another colleague and headed to dinner, an adventure in itself…so much so that I’ll save it for post #14. Only 27 new experiences to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment