Tuesday, November 18, 2014

#24: ICE!

For years I have heard about the incredible ice sculptures at the ICE! exhibit at Gaylord Texan in Grapevine. It’s a few miles from my house, so I really have no excuse for not having been before except maybe the annual craziness of November and December and my apprehension to voluntarily spend 30 minutes in the nine-degree temperature.

I’ve had great intentions to check it out, but every year it seems to come and go before that happens. This year, however, was different. My dad was attending an accounting conference at Gaylord so my parents were staying there for a few days – a great excuse to enjoy the amazing holiday light exhibits and ICE!

After a nice dinner at one of the restaurants at Gaylord, we bundled up in our hats, gloves and the big blue parkas provided and headed into the exhibit. This year’s theme was Frosty the Snowman with more than two million pounds of hand-carved ice sculptures including two-story tall ice slides. Of course the kids loved the slides but I was pleasantly surprised when my both of parents opted to take the ride too –and enjoyed it!

Admittedly a little cold, we made it through the exhibit and finished the evening with hot chocolate for the kids and a group photo with Santa.

I have a feeling experience #24 may become a family tradition!

1 comment: