Sunday, July 27, 2014

#10: Dinner at a Food Truck Park

I remember hearing about the emergence of food trucks a few years ago from a hip co-worker. I’m pretty sure I scrunched up my nose as I had always thought of food trucks as the school cafeteria equivalent for construction workers. But she assured me that had changed…food trucks had become a cool way for gourmet entrepreneurs to test concepts. Three years later my hubby, who works in downtown Dallas, enjoys walking to Clyde Warren Park or Winspear at least once a week with coworkers to go to “the trucks”.

I watched the food truck trend solidify in TV shows and movies and even started seeing food truck reviews in newspapers and magazines. As excited as I was by the cultural shift, my crazy work and family life commitments prevented me from partaking in the experience…until recently.

 My husband and I had driven to Houston with our two dogs to drop our kids off at my parents for a week of summer fun. We arrived back in DFW around 7PM on a Sunday evening, starving but unsure where we could grab dinner with two dogs in tow. I remembered seeing a friend’s Facebook post about an evening at a FW foodtruck park and thought that could work.

We arrived at Clearfork Foodpark around 7 PM and it was perfect. I took our dogs, Abbey and Oliver, for a stroll while Rick checked out the menus and grabbed us some drinks. Then we tied the dogs to our picnic table and each headed to a different truck to grab our dinners. Rick had pulled pork sliders from Top Nosh and I opted for the ‘Texas Trash’ from LaCasa Azul. It was amazing. Definitely not a healthy option, but super tasty with Spanish rice, black beans, chicken, tortilla chips and a green sauce piled high in a paper bowl.

The food was great but the atmosphere stole the evening. The weather was beautiful, and the country music playing in the background (while not my usual choice) was a great complement to the laid back environment. Dogs and kids were playing, families laughing, couples were chatting. And it’s rare that Rick and I get to dine with our canine kids – a fun bonus. Experience #10 was definitely worth repeating, both the food truck park and the food truck cuisine. Only 30 new experiences to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment